Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!!!

I am SO excited that it is 2008!! Honestly, I am not a fan of 2007, and I am really looking forward to a much better year. I had a pretty fun New Year's Eve yesterday. I worked in the morning and then got some things done around the house in the afternoon. Last night I went to Frank and Elizabeth's house to hang out with some friends. Then we all headed to the Delaware River to watch the midnight fireworks. Joy and I picked up 2 of the teens to go with us, since their families were going to celebrate in ways they didn't want to participate in. We all had so much fun!! This time last year I was in Kenya...its amazing where I year will take you.

As you can imagine, the Delaware River was pretty packed, so we had to park pretty far away and walk (this is my 3rd trip to the fireworks, and we always have to park far away). Unfortunately, we didn't leave ourselves enough time to walk from our car to the spot we wanted to get to so we all literally had to run half a mile (I measured the distance on our way home) before midnight hit. We got there with 1 minute to spare!!! That's actually much better than 2 years ago when we were running up to the river during the countdown. :) It took us a good hour to drive home, but that gave us some good time to talk in the car, so we didn't mind.

Today has been a great day for me; mostly because I did next to nothing! :) I didn't get til bed until almost 3, so I slept in pretty late. I even turned my phone off!! I almost never turn my phone off; I'm always afraid something will happen to one of the kids and they won't be able to get in touch with me. The idea of one of the kids being in the hospital and me not knowing it terrifies me, so I usually keep my phone on. Unfortunately, that also means that the random, "Hey Trish, I'm bored" phone call wakes me up all too often. Usually that doesn't bother me...but last night I decided to just sleep!!

So, I woke up and still stayed away from my phone for most of the day. I check occasionally for missed calls, but other than that I read, watched TV and yes...went for a run. :) Tomorrow things go pretty much back to normal, so I decided to soak up today. I have work, Prayer Pals and plenty of things to do to prepare for Kids Club starting up. And of course; errands, cleaning, laundry, etc. I have also gotten calls from several teens that need to get together to talk, so I need to make time for them. I'm excited though, I enjoy the one on one opportunities.

And of course, I have to get ready for Thursday. Why? Because Thursday is the Orange Bowl!!! Virginia Tech will be taking on Kansas in their last game of this year; and it should be a really great game!! I am planning on having a party; everyone must wear orange, the house will be decorated orange...and of course, I will serve oranges. I am SO excited about this game!!!! My house is nowhere near ready for company, nor is my work ready to give me a night off...but hopefully that will change tomorrow!!!

I can't think of a better way to start of 2008 than with a Hokie win!!! :)

No comments: