Thursday, August 27, 2009

We love NC!

I know I owe you an update on the Cornerstone Block Party AND our staff retreat, and I will get to that really soon. But, right now I'm too tired to think back that far, haha. For now, I will go with what's going on now. I have to prepare you though, this begins with a really gross story.

The girls and I came home from staff retreat yesterday around 5 and immediately had to wash clothes, repack and get the house ready for us to leave at 9:30 this morning. I also had A TON of AIM work to catch up on, so we were in high gear as soon as we got home. The girls also wanted to see their mom before we left, so after they went to her house for a little while I started to cleaning up our stuff from staff retreat, with Ashley's help. As I went to put the cereal away, I discovered that a mouse had chewed through one of the bags of cereal (most of my cereal is kept in plastic containers, but we had one bag that didn't fit, so we just put it in the cabinet. Bad idea..). There was raisin bran everywhere, which was frustrating but not a big deal. Well, until I started to clean up the raisin bran and a tiny mouse fell out!!! It looked like a little mouse fetus! It was TINY (smaller than my pinkie) and squeaking and GROSSING me out!! I screamed, Ashley screamed and we immediately started asking Jesus to send our husbands quickly! (We also had a very unfortunate run in with some disgusting, and extremely heavy trash earlier in the week).

After running through the house screaming I realized that the mess still needed to be cleaned up, so I took care of the baby mouse and started cleaning the rest of the cereal, only to discover another squeaking baby mouse. SICK!!!! I was almost at a breaking point, but pushed through the clean up the rest. Unfortunately, it got worse. I looked at the electric socket at the back of the cabinet (where the microwave is plugged in) and discovered a smelly, rotting mouse carcass. A mouse had been electrocuted and was rotting away in my cabinet.

AHHHHH!!! I was completely grossed out at this point and just closed the cabinet. I then called/facebook messaged/twitterred several of my guy friends until I found one willing to come and remove the mouse for me. I cleaned up all the rest of the mess, made sure the baby mice were no longer alive, and then my friend came and scraped the mouse out of the socket (it was SO SO gross!). He also discovered another mouse baby and a bunch of maggots. I didn't mind cleaning up the maggots, that was nothing compared to the rest of the disgustingness.

Finally, around 10:00 p.m. it was all cleaned up and Gizmo was on guard in the kitchen to make sure no other mice showed up. If I wasn't ready to get to my parents' house before....

I was up pretty late cleaning, packing, and catching up on AIM stuff, but I managed to get it all finished. (Well, at least get to a good point with AIM...its a REALLY busy time for me right now!!). I think I finally went to bed around 3 or 4, and was up at 8:30 to be ready to leave by 9:30. I was SO excited!!

It is SO wonderful, sometimes, to have teenage girls around. They did their own laundry, packed all their own clothes and even made sure they had all the stuff they needed for school (they start on Monday!). We left on time, picked Cupcake up on time and got to the airport by 10:15 (our flight left at 11:50). Going through security was hilarious with all 4 of us having laptops to take out of our bags, belts, sneakers, cell phones, and on and on. Thankfully it wasn't too busy, otherwise we might have had some mad travelers behind us! We made it through pretty quickly (and very organized actually!) and were sitting at the gate by 10:30. We were all SO excited!!!

The flight is only about an hour long, and it wasn't a full flight, so it was great. My dad was at the airport to pick us up and drove us the 2 hours home. We actually slept most of the car ride, haha, which was nice. Then, we were HOME!! :)

I was so excited to see my parents and the girls immediately fell in love with their house. We all love it SO MUCH here!! The girls are all sleeping in one room together, but have another room to store their stuff. We have 2.5 bathrooms, and we have all already commented on how nice it is to have another bathroom (please sell my house soon, Jesus!).

We arrived at my parents around 4, and about an hour later all the girls were bored, haha. In fact, they were so bored they ALL decided to take the scantron tests that PA Cyber requires them to take. They knew they had to do it and decided to get it out of the way so we can just enjoy the long weekend before school starts. I was proud of that decisions, that is a really good sign!!!! :)

Each girl found her own space to work, and they all worked SO well! The tests took almost 3 hours total (including a stop for dinner) and there was no complaining at all. That is a really good sign!!!





After the tests were finished we went to the grocery store to get food for the week. By the time we got home (around 10), we were all actually pretty tired. So, the girls got ready for bed and are in their room laughing and talking.

Linda and Cupcake's pajamas are just too cute!!

I will be up pretty late tonight because I want to get ALL of my AIM work for the week finished. We are going to the beach for the day tomorrow (hopefully before Hurricane Dan shows up) and I don't want to have anything on my mind while we are there. Hopefully I can do it!!

We only left Philly 12 hours ago, but we have already decided we want to stay here. Tomorrow we will drive about 30 minutes, hop on a ferry and then spend the day at the beach!!!! I can't wait!

No comments: