Tuesday, April 1, 2008

True Love

In Sunday School this week we talked a bit about anger (ironic, I know). Carisa talked with the girls about how we often get the most angry at those we love the most. She talked to us about how she loves her husband very much, but sometimes she really doesn't like him at all.

As she was talking, I started thinking about my treadmill. I know that sounds funny, and it is. Nonetheless, I have a very deep love/hate relationship with my treadmill.

When I first got the treadmill, I was in love. I was so excited to spend time with it. It was work at times, but that didn't matter, I just loved my treadmill. I especially loved having it around all the time. I didn't have to leave to go to the gym, my treadmill was right there. Whenever I had the urge or desire to run, I could just hop right on my treadmill. I ran almost every day.

Slowly, though, the realities of how difficult a relationship with a treadmill mill really is have set in. I am often more annoyed with my treadmill than I am enamored with it. While I used to be excited to have it right here with me, I now find it in the way at times. Sometimes when I wake up in the morning, I look at it with a smile on my face ready to go for a run. Other times, I growl at it and wish it would go away.

My treadmill and I have some really good times together, but we have some really hard times. Its not easy to stick it out with my treadmill, but I know its worth it. My treadmill has made me a better person and it constantly challenges me beyond what I think I can do. I have to constantly depend on the Lord in my relationship with my treadmill. If left to my own devices, I would have given up long ago and divorced it without a second thought. I know its hard to imagine just throwing away love like that, but I am a sinful person in desperate need of Jesus.

In the long run, sticking it out with my treadmill will be completely worth it. I am being molded into the woman that God created me to be through my relationship with my treadmill. That has always been my prayer...that whatever love comes into my life is there to challenge me, sharpen me, make me more like Him, and lead me to fall more and more in love with Him.

My treadmill does that. This isn't just a fling...I think I have found the one. Let's pray I don't get scared and bail. I really want to stick this one out...

No comments: