Yesterday at church the sermon was about sacrifice, and how God calls us to sacrifice for Him. I won't go into my thoughts on the sermon, but it made me think a lot about my life. I don't understand how anyone can look at my life and see sacrifice.
There are several problems with seeing my life as a sacrifice (or really any life...)
1) I want for nothing in my life...I need for nothing in my life. Where is the sacrifice in that? God has continually provided for my every need, and even above and beyond that (I have TiVo for goodness sakes!!). I don't think you can consider it a sacrifice when you have everything you need.
2) Jesus dies on the cross because of MY sin. He sacrificed Himself so that I can spent my life in a beautiful relationship with Him. In light of that, how can I consider any part of my life a sacrifice? He actually suffered for me. My "suffering" is nothing compared to that.
3) As I was listening to the sermon, I had Bonita sitting on my left. At one point I looked over at her and thought, "I definitely got the better end of this deal". I mean seriously, if this is what sacrifice is...bring it on! I don't understand how anyone can look at my life and see sacrifice. My every need is taken care of. I have people that love and support me all over the country that allow God to use them to love and take care of me. Me?!? And, I get to spend my days loving on the people that God loves. Again, where is the sacrifice?
The bible says that Jesus endured the cross "for the glory set before Him". For Him, that was heaven..that's what was next for Him. I think we too often equate that with our lives...that we endure suffering here on earth as we wait for heaven. And while that is partially true, it isn't the whole story. There is glory set before us here on earth, and we don't have to look hard to see it:


Another misused bible verse (I believe) is the: "present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable". We focus on the first part...that we must be a sacrifice. So, we focus our time on all the things that we have "sacrificed". But, this verse is not at all about what we sacrifice. The verse is about living our lives in a way that is holy, acceptable and pleasing to God. The point is not what we give up, its about how we live our lives so that we can be presented to God (this is where the sacrifice imagery comes in) for His glory.
I think the minute we look at our lives in the context of all the things we have given up, we completely miss the point.
And quick side note: it appears that all of the things that people believe I have given up are in fact mostly material possessions: a nice house, yard, car, etc. Was I ever promised any of those things? No. Can you really call it a sacrifice when you don't have the things that most the world also does not have? No. I do live in a dangerous neighborhood, so I guess you could suggest that I have given up safety and security...but since God is sovereign over all, I would argue that me being here, in the center of God's will for my life, is the safest place I could be. I'm not married yet, but I don't consider that a sacrifice at all. Again, that is simply God's will for my life.
I wonder if that's why more people don't go into missions...because they see a long list of "sacrifices" they would have to make? Does anyone look at their children and think of all the "could have beens"? Do you see your children in light of all the sacrifices that you have made for them? I hope not. Any parent has sacrificed a lot for their children...time, money, convenience, etc. But, most likely, you see your children in light of the incredible blessing they are in your life; so why can't we see our entire lives that way?
The only sacrifice I see when I look at my life is the one that was made on the cross so that I can have the incredible life that I have.
2 comments:
I agree completely.
C
Some smart guy once said that you're not a fool to give up the things you can't keep to gain what you can't lose. It's no coincidence that Jesus told the rich young ruler to give up everything to inherit the kingdom of God.
Post a Comment