Starting last week and over the next few weeks in Kids Club we will be talking about Jesus death and resurrection (obviously, we are approaching Easter). I have been reading a lot in the word about Jesus death and learning so much more than I ever knew before. Recently I have been focusing on the people that were around Jesus and how they reacted to this time in Jesus life.
In the last week one of my main focuses has been Judas. I have spent some time reading the different accounts of his betrayal and I really think I am seeing him in a new light. And as I see him in a new light, I am seeing a change in my approach to ministry. I think I can learn a lot from Judas struggles in terms of how I treat others in their sin (and myself as well).
I think for many of us the focus is on confessing our sins (which is not bad). If we admit what we have done wrong, then we will be healed. But, I'm realizing how often we forget to tell people that its not enough for people to just feel bad about what they have done, that's not how you receive forgiveness. Remorse and guilt lead to nothing...the forgiveness of Christ leads to life. I am not directing this post toward people who are struggling in sin. I am directing this to the church; are we pointing out the sin without pointing to the cross? Are we trying to invoke remorse and forgetting the most important step?
We always look at Judas as the bad guy in the story. No one ever minds when the villain dies and I think thats how we have always seen Judas. But, if you read his reaction to Jesus being condemned to death, I don't see a villain. I see the same thing in him that I see in Peter after he denies Jesus.
Here is Judas' reaction:
"When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty silver coins to the chief priests and the elders. "I have sinned," he said, "for I have betrayed innocent blood." "
**Interesting side note: notice that when Judas realized his sin, he went to the PRIESTS and ELDERS and confessed his sin. Did they point him toward God and redemption? No, here was their response:
"What is that to us?" they replied. "That's your responsibility." I've heard that before...
Here is Peter's:
Then Peter remembered the word Jesus had spoken: "Before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times." And he went outside and wept bitterly.
Before Judas betrayed Jesus, Jesus warned Him it would happen. Jesus told Judas He knew about the betrayal. Before Peter denied Jesus, Jesus also warned him it would happen. In neither case did the warning keep these men from sinning. So, is Peter really less of a sinner than Judas?
After they each betrayed Jesus, they were both overwhelmed with remorse. Judas confessed in front of people that He had betrayed innocent blood. He confessed his sins!!! Peter didn't even really do that, he just went out and cried.
Of course, we would all like to think that Judas' betrayal was way worse than Peter's, but I don't think it was. Sure, Judas' betrayal sent Jesus to the cross...but we know there's more to the story. Jesus HAD to go to the cross, and He had to go because of my sin. Because of your sin. Judas definitely sinned, but he certainly isn't the reason that Jesus died on the cross. I am.
So, what is the difference between Judas and Peter? I truly believe that despite having spent 3 years with Jesus, learning and seeing the same things Peter did, Judas still never really knew who Jesus was. He never understood that Jesus was God in the flesh coming to save ALL people. Peter got that, but Judas didn't.
You can see this by the next steps each man took. Judas, filled with remorse and feeling completely hopeless, went and hung himself. He saw no other way.
Peter, filled with remorse, did not feel hopeless. While he had no idea exactly what was to come, he still knew that Jesus was all that He has said He was, and probably more. So Peter trusted, had faith, and waited for the redemption that Jesus promised. He didn't know how it was going to happen exactly, but he knew it would happen.
I wonder how many Judas' are out there, feeling true sorrow and remorse for their sins but have no idea what to do with that. And I really wonder how many of us are trying to bring about remorse instead of leading them to forgiveness.
Judas thought he had sinned to the point of no return, and despite having lived with Jesus for 3 years didn't think he could go to Jesus and ask for forgiveness. How many Sunday morning sermons point people to their sin instead of the cross? Judas thought the only way out for him was to hang on a tree...and in some ways he was right. What he didn't know was that Jesus was already hanging on that tree so Judas wouldn't have to.
Is that what we tell people? When they feel remorse, do we tell them that they don't have to die...or do we tell them that they need to face consequences for the wrong they have done and only after the church elders have agreed that they are truly remorseful will they be allowed to receive forgiveness. I know that sounds a little harsh...but you know I'm not that far off with many of our churches.
The bible tells us that the whole reason that God created the law was NOT so that we would have a list of rules to follow. The reason was to show is that there is NO WAY we could ever be righteous on our own, we NEED a Savior. The law was preparation for Jesus. So why in the world do we focus so much on people following a law that even God tells us is impossible for us to follow?!? (Although, if you think I am saying that means we can all just do whatever we want, read Romans 6).
As I write this, I am also talking to myself. If you look at the scripture you see 2 kinds of people. You see the religious leaders who told people what they should and shouldn't do, who thought that while they weren't perfect, they certainly didn't commit the sins that other people did. And how did Jesus view the religious leaders? He called them hypocrites and vipers...and they the only people that actually made Jesus angry.
Then you have the prostitutes, the greedy tax collectors, the drunkards and the worst of the worst. Those were the people Jesus showed compassion to, spent time with, healed and forgave.
Which one an I? I don't want to answer that...
Sometimes I feel like in the American church today we have the big 3 sins. As long as you avoid these, you can simply confess your sins to Christ and be forgiven. However, if you struggle with "The Big 3", then more must be done.
1) sex/pornography
2) drugs/alcohol
3) homosexuality
(And I think television and movies could almost be added to the list). I'm not saying that these things aren't sins or that we need to overlook them. What I am saying is, do you think that maybe if people truly understood who Christ is that they would continue in these sins without remorse? Do we need to constantly remind people that these things are sins, or do we need to spend more time pointing to the ONLY ONE that can lead them out of this sin? I think we are deceived into thinking that we can convict people of their sin. The bible tells us that the Holy Spirit convicts, so what are we doing? We are condemning people.
I'm not saying that pointing out sin is automatically condemning. I'm saying, that pointing out sin without sharing the freedom and redemption offered FREELY by Christ, NO MATTER WHAT, is condemnation.
Peter sinned and so did Judas. Peter repented of his sin and so did Judas. But, Peter understood who Jesus was. Judas didn't.
Ultimately, that's the difference. And the result? Judas killed himself and never received the forgiveness readily available. Peter received forgiveness and went on to share the love of Christ with thousands.
So, are we pointing to the sin, or to the cross? Are we teaching and showing people who Jesus really is? Are we teaching them how to be intimate with Him? Are we showing them how personal He is? Do they really understand that He will NEVER leave them or forsake them?
I am asking myself this question a lot. As I look around me and see hurting people, I'm starting to not see their sin (although I struggle with that a lot. Its very easy for me to see people's faults above who they really are). I am praying to not see their sin. Instead, I want to see people for who they are...desperate to know their Bridegroom. Desperate to be saved. And I want to be CONSTANTLY reminded that I can't save a single one...but I can point to the Savior.
I want to point to the Savior. I want my life to point to the Savior. I don't want people to feel condemned or ashamed when they are around me! The bible says "those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame" (Psalm 34:5). I want people to come to me and received freedom and life because they have met the Savior!! I want every part of my life, my speech and my actions to point to the Savior.
No comments:
Post a Comment