Friday, February 29, 2008

No More Oprah

I have never been the biggest fan of Oprah, but I've also never really disliked her. You have to respect her success, she is very generous and has done a lot of good for a lot of people.

However, she also has a lot of influence over a lot of people, and its scary. Not because she is a bad person, but because people rarely question what she says. This is scariest to me now because of her latest book recommendation.

Most of Oprah's book recommendations become best sellers. Her most recent recommendation has done the best of any of her recommendations. It has sold 3.5 million copie
s in the 4 weeks since she recommended it and is the fastest selling Oprah pick ever at Barnes & Noble. Not only that, but Oprah and the author are hosting on line seminars based on the book for the next 10 weeks and over 500,000 people are already signed up.

So, what's my problem with this book? Its one of the most blatant examples of false teaching I have ever seen. The book is called " A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose". Here is the description of the book from its publisher's website:


"Building on the astonishing success of The Power of Now, Eckhart Tolle presents readers with an honest look at the current state of humanity: He implores us to see and accept that this state, which is based on an erroneous identification with the egoic mind, is one of dangerous insanity.

Tolle tells us there is good news, however. There is an alternative to this potentially dire situation. Humanity now, perhaps more than in any previous time, has an opportunity to create a new, saner, more loving world. This will involve a radical inner leap from the current egoic consciousness to an entirely new one.

In illuminating the nature of this shift in consciousness, Tolle describes in detail how our current ego-based state of consciousness operates. Then gently, and in very practical terms, he leads us into this new consciousness. We will come to experience who we truly are—which is something infinitely greater than anything we currently think we are—and learn to live and breathe freely."

Anyone else scared?!? Millions of people are reading this book and accepting it as truth!! It seems to be the greatest deception of the masses against Christ since the Divinci Code; although at least the Davinci Code acknowledged that it was fiction. (In fact, I would probably go as far as to say this is a cult and false religion, but the book at least claims to be self help and not a religion, so I will lump it in with the Davinci Code for now).

Here is an even scarier part...this book was actually published in 2005. It has been around for almost 3 years with little response. However, the minute Oprah puts her seal of approval on it, its a best seller. In fact, Oprah's exact words in recommending this book were: "
Being able to share this material with you is a gift and a part of the fulfillment of my life's purpose, it was an awakening for me that I want for you, too."

I have tried to research this book over the last few days, and many Christians seem to be unaware of the incredible popularity of it. I have been to several websites that reviewed the book, but not a single Christian one. Thankfully, many Christians are visiting these other sites and sharing the truth, but I really think the Christian community needs to come out strong against this book. I have also read several reviews from people who are Christians but seem to also accept the lies in this book. They are being deceived and led away.

I don't really have much of a response at this point except to pray. So, I am praying for the truth to shine through the lies. Oprah seems like an unshakable empire...but no one thought the walls of Jericho could fall, nor did they think Babylon could be captures. I am praying for the Oprah empire to fall...and for Oprah to come to repentance. But above all of that, I am praying that this book will no longer lead people astray, but that the lies will be revealed and lead people to the truth.

And if you think I'm overreacting, just do a little research and read what people are saying about the book....

1 comment:

Carisa said...

AMEN, I couldn't agree more. Stuff about Oprah and this are floating around my homeschooling mom's blogs too, it is so scarey how big and bad she is getting. You are not over reacting at all, thanks for telling it like it is...