Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A little off...

Today has been a pretty good day, but I have felt a little off all day. I'm not really sure why, but today was just one of those days.

Wednesday is my "abnormal" day anyway. Every other day of the week, I do my AIM work from 9-2 and then my Cornerstone stuff after that. Wednesdays, however, I go to Cornerstone staff prayer from 9-11 and only work for AIM from 11-2.

In my normal everyday schedule I tend to stay up later and sleep later. I do a lot of night ministry and I'm not the kind of person who can come home and go straight to bed. It takes me a while to decompress from the day. So, I often don't get to bed until 1 or 2 in the morning. This works fine since I work from my house and don't have to be dressed when I start my day. :) I usually drag myself out of bed around 8:30-8:45, grab a bowl of cereal and start my day. (For those of you who get up much earlier than me, remember that I don't go to bed until early in the morning...and that's often after a 10-12 hour day...so I'm not being lazy!) :)

Anyway, my day started abnormally but in what I thought, at the time, was a good way. I woke up a little before 8, with no alarm clock, and was wide awake and ready to go. So, I got some breakfast and decided to start work a little early. I wasn't even thinking about staff prayer and it wasn't until I decided to take a break around 9:45 that I realized I was VERY late!! I quickly got dressed and rushed out the door. I ended up not missing much of prayer (we rarely get started before 9:30), but I'm usually there on time or early, so it was weird for me to be that late.

After prayer I went back home and finished my AIM work. I had some odds and ends to get done with Kids Club as well as some extra AIM things to do that kept me busy until about 4. That's when I got a phone call from Jeff saying that no teens had come to the after-school program so he was going home. I had completely forgotten about that as well!!! I'm supposed to be at the Hope House at 3:30 on Wednesdays to help teens with their homework, but I completely skipped it. Where has my mind gone?!?

Both situations worked out fine, I didn't miss anything important at staff prayer, and no teens were at after-school anyway, but still...I have apparently lost my mind.

I did remember Prayer Pals tonight, and it went well...until the very end. In fact, the kids were the best behaved they have ever been; especially with 20 of them there! My mom's prayer pal is a fire cracker (to say the least) and she is often a trouble maker, but tonight she was perfect. I had a lot of fun!! Unfortunately, as the kids were leaving, some other kids (not involved with the church) wandered in and asked what was going on. I explained things to them, but it became clear very quickly that they were just looking for trouble. I asked them to leave and escorted them out as they cursed at me, in front of several of the kids. I kept my cool, but I think the only reason for that was shock. What exactly happened?!? I still don't know...

I'm glad I was in shock, I think it kept me from making stupid decisions. My first inclination was to lock the door and not let them leave until they called a parent to pick them up; so I could talk to the parent. I don't even know if I could legally do that, and my dad very kindly pointed out that those kids could have easily gotten violent. I did actually think of that, which is why I escorted them out and made sure I kept myself between them and my kids. My kids were a bit scared by everything, but Monique very matter of factly told everyone, "Ms. Trish isn't scared of anyone". Tasha, beautiful sweet innocent Tasha, was just in shock that anyone would curse at me, haha. She looked at me wide eyed with total shock on her face as she said, "They cursed at you!!" Bonita then asked where the kids had gone and someone told her that they ran away, to which she responded, "I'd run away too if I just cursed at Trish". I love my girls. :)

They day did end on a high note. I had to run to Target after Prayer Pals and I took Monique and Tasha with me. It was a quick trip, but it brought me many smiles. Tasha really enjoys waiting for automatic doors to almost close before running forward and making them open. She got a lot of giggles out of that one. Monique is still embarrassed by "feminine" things (sorry guys), so I had fun loudly talking about pads and tampons and making her blush. The three of us laughed and had fun and it was a really fun way to end a really weird day. I'm going to try to get to bed before 1 tonight. I liked being up at 8...and I don't think I have any important meetings to forget tomorrow. :)


And....a little addendum to my last post...I didn't mention it but my mom also thinks I am pretty much the most beautiful woman in the world. I didn't mention it because mom's opinion, on this subject, is even more biased than a dad's (I did come from her for goodness sake!). Still, I LOVE my mom for it. And my dad....here was his response to my post:

Dear Trish,

I read your blog. I only wish you could see what I see when I look at you. But then again, I’m a dad. When I say to you “Hey Beautiful !”, it’s not just coming from a dad. It’s the true picture of what I see.

Just for the record.

dad


If I have this kind of amazing support from my family, and I still struggle...how much harder is it for the beautiful young women out there who are never told how radiant they really are?

No comments: