Saturday, March 21, 2009

Fantastic Football Fun!! (Lame title, I know, but I couldn't resist!)

This last week was such a great week! I led an AIM CBT (College Break Trip) that turned out to be my favorite group...EVER! I have to admit that I was extremely nervous about the trip before it started. It was a team of all guys, 25 of them...football players from Greenville College in Illinois. I had to lead an all guys' team!! They arrived last Saturday and were exhausted from their trip, so they didn't start out too friendly; which made me even more nervous. However, after a good night's sleep, they were completely different, and absolutely wonderful!!

They spent Monday morning cleaning the park by my house, and that was very eye opening to them. I told them that the park was nicknamed "Needle Park", and they quickly discovered why.

As they picked up needle after needle, they became more and more resolved to see God glorified in the park, which was a huge blessing to me!

The majority of their focus for the week was running a Football Camp with Cornerstone. I was hoping for at least 40 kids to come, and by the end of the week were had at least 100!! The team had a GREAT plan, but also really poured their hearts into every minute with the kids. Every single player was excited and focused on the kids the entire time during the camp, and the kids most definitely noticed. I do not think its exaggerating to say that its the best program we have ever had at Cornerstone!!

I can't think of how the week could have gone better. The Cornerstone kids had so much fun and felt loved and cared for. There were also a ton of kids that have never heard of Cornerstone that now know about the church and will hopefully start coming out. We did have several new kids show up at Kids Club last week, and I am hoping for even more next week.

Every kid was raving about the camp all week, and they were so sad to see the team leave! The kids even learned a lot about football!

To give you some insight into how much the kids loved it, Bonita spent most of today looking up Greenville College football on the internet and was so excited when she saw players she knew. She felt so special!

The best part for me, though, was getting to see the reactions of the players. As blessed at the kids felt, the players felt even more so. They counted it a privilege to get to know the kids here, and often cried as they shared how God was touching their lives through these kids. I don't know who was more upset when they left...the players or the kids. How amazing is that?!?

I am beyond impressed with the Greenville College Football Team. The players truly love the Lord and allowed Him to use them in incredible ways. They loved the kids like I have never seen before, and there was a joy and a light in their eyes that I will never forget. I am still just in awe of all of it!!!

I have no idea what next year will look like for any of us, but I (along with all of the kids!) am really praying they will come back!!

No comments: