Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Dream Come True!!


Yesterday, one of my long time dreams finally came true! I got to see "Phantom of the Opera" on Broadway!!! It was AMAZING!!!

I read the story in the 9th grade as a part of my band class and absolutely fell in love with the sound track. That year, the class took a trip to New York City where we were supposed to see Phantom live on Broadway. Unfortunately, we found out at the last minute that only 20 people from the class were going to get to go, the rest would see "Damn Yankees". Even more unfortunately for me, my name was not drawn as a winner for the Phantom tickets. It was really sad for me because several people who DID go see Phantom came back talking about how they slept through most of it!!!!!

I actually did enjoy "Damn Yankees" and have since seen "Les Miserables" (twice), "Stomp" (twice) and "Beauty and the Beast" in New York, but never made it to Phantom. My usual way of getting tickets is to wait in line at the TKTS booth in Times Square. They have CRAZY discounted seats, but you have to choose from whatever shows they happen to have available that day. Of course, Phantom was never on the list when I went. So, I was still just holding out for the chance to go. 15 years and counting...

Thankfully, my friend Shera decided to see how cheap matinee tickets would be, and she found them for $30!! Of course, we were in the very top row in the balcony (the absolute farthest away you can be from the stage), but who cares!! It was Phantom of the Opera!!!!

So, yesterday became of the greatest days ever for me. First, we boarded the El Train to 30th Street Station. From there we boarded the Bolt Bus to take us to NY. The Bolt Bus cost us $10 each way, and they have wireless Internet on the bus!! Its a GREAT way to get to NY (and they go to DC and Boston as well!). The Bolt Bus dropped us off about 5 blocks from the theater, so we got some lunch and then headed to the matinee.

The show...well...it was EVEN BETTER than I imagined it would be!! I loved every second of it!!! I still can't believe I actually got to see it! I want to see it again someday with better seats. If I was enthralled from the very back row, I can't even imagine being close to the stage!!!!

After the show we grabbed some dinner, did some touring (we were also close to the Empire State Building, although we didn't pay to actually go in), and then headed back to the bus to take us home. It was so relaxing, simple, and cheap!! YAY!!!

Of course, now I am paying for taking an entire day off in the middle of the week; I'm pretty sure I will be working non-stop until next weekend...but I DON'T CARE!! I saw Phantom of the Opera Live!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

ashley said...

OOH! I'm so glad you got to see this :) And I'm also glad that you mentioned the Bolt Bus - I've been looking for cheap ways of getting back and forth between Philly and NY for when I come in March.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I'm so glad you got to go! I hope I wasn't one of those who was falling asleep during it. I remember getting to see it but I don't remember the deal with only 20 people getting to see it. I remember loving it! I love listening to the soundtrack. Anyway, I'm glad you were able to have such a fun and special day!

Trish said...

It may have been more than 20...I just know I didn't get to go! And the only person I remember falling asleep was Floyd, so you're off the hook. :)

The Questioner said...

I am sooo glad you got to go!!! Ooo now I want to do a show when I come visit haha.