I have decided in honor of my 28 years in existence, I would tell you a little about the people that have made my entire life possible, my parents. I actually meant to do this on Mother's and Father's Day, but ran out of time. Still, I can't think of a better way to celebrate my birthday than to celebrate the people who made me the person I am today.
The year that I was born my father was named officer of the year for his bravery (he had only been on the force for a few years) in saving a family from a burning building. Every little girl thinks that her father is a hero, and my dad being a police officer only magnified that perception in my mind. 28 years later, my father is still my hero.
Though my parents were divorced for part of my life, I don't have a single important memory that doesn't include my dad. He was at every major event in my life, from sports games, to birthdays and holidays. He has ALWAYS been there for me and my brother, through good times and bad.
When my parents remarried, the first year was rough for me and my dad. I was hitting the teenage years and not okay with any kind of authority in my life, yet my father showed me consistent love, discipline and structure. Thanks to him we quickly moved past that stage and have been great ever since.
My father has adored me from the moment he laid eyes on me, and the feeling in mutual.
My dad is a man of integrity like no other. In a time where police officers are constantly in the news for their wrongdoings, my dad's badge shines bright (as do his shoes and gun belt, he's kind of obsessive about his appearance in uniform, haha. He won't even let my mom iron his clothes). He stands up for what is right and will fight for justice, yet he is a man full of compassion. My dad is well respected and he ha earned that respect. He is hard working, diligent, intelligent and...well he's my hero. He's my daddy.
In the Christian world I hear A LOT about the "wounds" our fathers inflict on us. There is always talk of how our earthy fathers fail us and how we need to turn to God and not put our own father's mistakes on Him. I'm not trying to belittle that idea, but my dad does not fall into this category. My dad certainly isn't perfect, but when I look at him, I see Christ. He loves, adores, respects, cares for, and cherishes me...the same way my heavenly father does. He carries himself with dignity and honor and nothing bad can be said about him.
I can talk to my dad about anything. I don't think he knows what to do with me all the time because I talk a little too much, haha. Still, I don't know many daughters that call home and can talk to their dads just as long, and as openly, as they do their moms.
Its hard to believe that a woman exists that is worthy of my dad, but my mom most definitely is. In fact, I'm not 100% convinced my dad is worthy of her, haha, but he comes as close as anyone possibly could.
My mom is one of the smartest people I know, though she has no idea just how smart she is. If I can manage to be half the mom she is, my kids will be blessed. My mom always puts her family first and is a great care taker. She made sure I was always at school, always had my homework done, and she always had food on the table for us, even if that meant she didn't have any. She stayed up late helping me with projects, saved her pennies so my brother and I could go on field trips and despite being a single working mom, never missed a ball game, class recital or band concert.
My mom is gentle and kind...until you mess with her family. She stands beside my dad through thick and thin, and does the same for me and my brother. There is no greater encouragement in my life than my mom.
While I am most definitely daddy's girl, my mom always has been and always will be my best friend. I literally can (and do) talk to my mom about anything and everything. She has (and continues to) put up with SO much from me! If you only knew me as a child...
I can be totally myself with my mom, and she makes me feel like that's okay.
My mom is the most beautiful woman I have ever met. Her eyes glow and her laugh is contagious. There are so many characteristics of the Proverbs 31 woman that describe my mom:
10:A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.
11: Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.
17: She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks.
20: She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.
23: Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
25: She is clothed with strength and dignity;she can laugh at the days to come.
26: She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27: She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28: Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:
30: Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
I learned integrity and character from my dad. I learned strength and perseverance from my mom.
Together my parents make a pretty amazing team, which I why I believe the Lord worked so hard to bring them back together after over 8 years being divorced. My parents have the same sense of humor, and it has definitely been passed down to me and my brother, which is awesome. We laugh a lot as a family...both with and at one another.
Incidentally, I think pretty highly of my brother as well, but I'll have to talk about him some other time.
My parents have forgiven the unforgivable, loved me when I was unlovable, protected me when I didn't think I needed to be protected, cherished me despite my many faults and nurtured me through very difficult times; physically, emotionally and spiritually.
In high school when I had both my jaws broken (on purpose, it was a necessary surgery), my dad cried because he didn't like the idea of the pain I was in, and my mom stayed in the hospital with me 24/7 until I went home.
When I was in the hospital with malaria, my parents drove 8 hours through the night to be at my side in the hospital. It didn't matter to them that I was 23 years old...they wanted to take care of me.
I know how rare my parents are, and I thank God so much for the incredible blessing that they are. There are many ways that God could have chosen to make me into the woman of God that He created me to be, and He chose to give me 2 incredible teachers and mentors that I can (try to) model myself after.
I wouldn't be alive if it weren't for my parents, but they are so much more than that. I wouldn't be who I am without them. Everything that I am is God's grace on me through my parents.
Thank you Jesus for my parents.
3 comments:
Thank you for writing this! It was wonderful to read! YOU are an amazing woman and I thank God for you and your willingness to serve with us here!
there are times in one's life when you stop and thank God for a smile,a laugh, or just a look. when I have those moments, it's usually Trish that is in my vision.
dad
Though I have not had the honor of meeting you, I have had the honor of meeting your father (and your mom 1x). His children are always spoken of, with confidence and pride. There are not to many days that go by when he is not speaking of his children & their accomplishments. I envy such a woman that has a daddy like yours. In some funny way, you speak of him the way I feel about my mother. We have a very similar relationship as you and your father do. I, like you, grew up in a single parent home, yet us children (3 at the time), never went hungry, and always knew mom was our protector. Thank you for sharing your life with all of us. You seem like a wonderful woman, and I look forward to meeting you and your brother one day.
Post a Comment