Thursday, June 28, 2007

I'm a Survivor! :)


This has been one of the busiest weeks of the year for me, and I am not only surviving, I am thriving!!! Of course, I say this as I look at a ridiculously long to-do list with very few things checked off. I still have SO much to do, but I am seeing God accomplish SO much at the same time, so I am not complaining at all!!

We have a group from Ohio here this week and they are doing an outdoor VBS along with work projects and helping with out Kids' and Teen Clubs. They have been really great and although it is REALLY hot (the hottest week so far...we're in the hundreds with the heat index!), the VBS has been really fun! We have been having around 60 kids each day, and they have had a blast. I hear kids singing songs from the VBS all the time, all over the neighborhood! :)



Reading Rocks also started this week, and its AMAZING!!! Carisa and I commented that we would both love to make it a year round program, but it would be really hard to do with kids having homework and such. Tuesday was a "normal" day where the kids read books and earned points. Wednesday is our "special events" day where we do something fun at the church. This week we had them get in groups and write their own stories, which they all really loved. Thursday is another normal day of reading and earning points. We have a great group of kids (already 2o on the roster!) and an awesome group of teen leaders helping out. I think this is going to be our best year ever!!!


I have also gotten to spend a lot of time with Bonita and Linda this week, and I am really enjoying them!! I miss the days when they were so cute and little, but I am also enjoying watching them grow up. They have their bumps in the road (puberty is not easy for anyone), but overall they are WONDERFUL!! The have been at everything this week...VBS, Reading Rocks, Kids Club, Prayer Pals...and I have loved every minute of it. They even spent the night on Tuesday and we had a blast. They make me laugh a lot. :)

We discovered on Tuesday that they have very little summer clothing. In fact, Linda has grown out of almost all of her summer stuff and the only reason Bonita has anything is because she can wear Linda's old stuff. Shannon Schultz (one of the staff members at church) told me about an amazing sale at JC Penney where everything is buy one get one half off. So, today after Reading Rocks we quickly ran out to the mall and bought a TON of new clothes for the girls that actually fit them and are modest! They were SO excited! (Shannon also gave us a $50 gift card, which we made go a very long way...thank you Shannon and Jesus!). I am keeping all the clothes at my house, so they will always have things to wear when they come over. We got back from the mall just in time for Prayer Pals, which was small but nice.

This whole week has been just go go go! I leave the house around 9 a.m. and get home after 10. VBS is from 11-1, Reading Rocks is 2-3 (or 3:30 on Wednesday) and then we have stuff every night as well. The "down" time is used for running errands, quickly eating and preparing for the next event. Its been crazy, but fun!

Tonight was also really fun, and it actually included adults instead of just kids and teens!! I am discipling the AIM summer staff this summer and I get to take them out every Wednesday to just relax, have fun and talk and encourage them. Tonight was our first night out and I wanted to start with a bang, so we headed to Ben and Jerry's to eat a Vermonster. The Vermonster is a GIANT ice cream sundae that includes 20 scoops of ice cream (yes, 20 scoops!) with tons of toppings, bananas, cookies, brownies, and a lot of whipped cream. There were 7 of us, and while we didn't eat all of it, we ate way more than I thought we could!!! We had a lot of fun and spent some good time talking about the Lord and really encouraging one another. It was a really great night.


The rest of this week looks pretty busy, but next week is the light at the end of the tunnel. Tomorrow will include VBS, Reading Rocks and Teen Club, and I have several birthday and graduation parties to attend on Saturday, as well as worship practice. Friday is already full or to-do things to accomplish, so I am REALLY looking forward to Sunday. I am already planning a nap after church. :)
Despite all the things going on, I am really learning to focus on Him and not the plans or even the programs. He has absolutely called me to do exactly what I am doing, but He doesn't want me to lose sight of Him, not even for a second! Please continue to pray that I won't and that I will continue to have toe peace and joy that I have right now! And that I would get some sleep... :)

No comments: