Dear Mom and Dad (or the Chief and his woman as I like to call you, lol):
Thank you for teaching me perseverance. I would have quit a long time ago if it wasn't for you. I can't remember either of you ever taking a day off from work unless me or Jack was sick, had a field trip or just needed you. Mom, you worked full time AND took care of two kids full time, and we never felt neglected for a second. Dad, you worked full time AND went back to college while Jack and I were still living with you because you knew that was the best way to take care of your family. And again, we never felt neglected for even a moment. (okay, maybe a little during the hockey playoffs, but that's really because I have never understood hockey, haha) And, while doing all of that, neither of you ever missed a holiday, birthday, sporting event, band concert, etc.
One of you walked us to the bus stop every morning (until we were too cool to be seen with you, haha), and picked us up from every school dance (until we were so cool that we had our own 1983 Honda Accord). I have watched both of you battle health issues being in and out of hospitals at various times, yet you only took the necessary days off work, and NEVER took time off from us. You always persevered.
If Jack or I ever said something was "too hard", you said, "no its not". You never let us quit (except cotillion. But let's be honest, that would have just been torture for me). :) When Jack went his own way for several years, you NEVER gave up on him; even when so many parents would have just washed their hands of all of it.
No matter how many arguments I started with you, you never gave up. There was no doubt in your mind that I would not only go to, but graduate from college and you never let me think otherwise either.
I have watched you face and overcome countless obstacles and never once heard even the slightest complaint or hint of wanting to quit.
Jack has said a million times that his work ethic is all because of you. You taught him to keep pushing through and never quit. Now he is sober, back in school and can lift terrifying amounts of weight. :)
Why am I saying all of this?
So you can know that really you only have yourselves to blame for the fact that I'm still living in Kensington and not packing up to move back in with you. :)
The thought has crossed my mind more than once, that's for sure. But, when I look at both of you I realize that when I'm in my 50's (hehe, sorry about that), I want people to see me the way I see you...or at least as close to that as I can.
In order for that to happen, I can't quit. You didn't, so I won't either.
1 comment:
Now that's just plain mean. Blaming your parents? Mean, I tell ya. Just mean !
d
Post a Comment