In Philly you will be a part of 4 graduations...kindergarten, 5th or 6th grade (depending on your elementary school), 8th grade and then high school. I have been to at least one of each of these ceremonies (except a kindergarten one) over the last 2 days, and I can assure you that the level of excitement is consistent across the board...and its awesome. At each one I felt like I was at a mini prom or wedding as everyone was dressed in their best, with hair and nails done to perfection (for the girls), and some of the sharpest suits I have ever seen on the guys. You don't just look nice, you look red carpet ready.
My favorite part is that graduations are truly a celebration. The schools try to keep some semblance of tradition, but friends and families are not daunted. Their pride and joy over the accomplishments of their children can not be contained, nor do I think it should be. The great part is, everyone is like this, so no one is bothered by anyone else. When one family screams uncontrollably for their child, everyone else just claps along, waiting for their turn. If you push in front of someone to get a picture of your child, they will gladly move out of your way knowing they will do the same to you in a few minutes. The whole auditorium is filled with joy, and its amazing. (Of course, there are some exceptions cause there's always someone who tries to mess it up). There is a camaraderie in the room as all the families understand what an amazing accomplishment it is for their kids to graduate, and that produces a shared respect as families look around the room and understand each other. They all understand the obstacles their children have overcome as well as the hard work each of them have poured into their kids. And because of that, everyone is excited for everyone else.
I really think that graduations in Philly are a glimpse of what heaven must be like when you first get there. You arrive, dressed fabulously, looking around at everyone else who persevered alongside you while family members who arrived long before cheer, knowing the amazing road ahead for you. Okay, maybe that isn't what heaven is like, but its a fun thought. :)The first graduation I attended yesterday was for Jones middle school (an 8th grade graduation). Several of our teens attend Jones and I got to see 8 of my favorite teens walk across the stage and prepare for the next step in their lives. One of the teens, J, received 3 separate awards for his improvement in grades, behavior and attendance and the teachers could not stop gushing about how far he has come. Another teen, T, received an award for excellence in leadership and athletics and as I held her 2 little brothers in my lap, I cheered (okay, and cried) along side her mom, both of us understanding that this graduation means so much to their entire family. I was so excited to see so many familiar faces at this graduation. Here are the pics I snapped of the teens that I knew from church:
After the Jones graduation, I headed to the Kensington High school graduation to see M finish out High School. She received an award for excellence in English and while she didn't seem to think it was a big deal, I know just how rare women like her are, and I'm so thankful that she is a role model for Bonita and Linda.
The final 3 graduations are especially significant to me, and I have to admit, MANY tears of joy were shed from my eyes over the last 2 days over these final 3 graduations.
Bonita graduated from 6th grade, Luis graduated from 8th grade, and Zuley graduated from HIGH SCHOOL!! I am SO proud of them!!! Zuley is the first in her family (but certainly not the last!) to finish high school!! Here are Luis and Zuley showing off their diplomas:
Quick side note: for the first year since the kids moved in with me, ALL of them passed (Bonita, Linda, Dario, Luis and Zuley), with no summer school!! Next year will be Kiara's 8th grade graduation, and the year after that (Lord willing), will be Dario's high school graduation!!!
Finally, I just had to add this picture in, because it captures these 3 loves of my life so perfectly. Notice Dario appears to be loving on Bonita, but (if you look at his face), you can see that he is actually trying to squeeze her as hard as he can. Bonita has a priceless look on her face as she tries to smile for the camera, but can hardly breath because her big brother is torturing her. And if you look closely, you will see that Luis snuck himself into the background of the picture...which he did completely on purpose. He is the mischievous one. :)
2 comments:
AWESOME post!!!!! Can I link to you? Thanks for being there for all of them and loving them the way you do!!!
Carisa
Aww I am soo happy for all of them!
Post a Comment