
Okay, Carisa recently switched her on line journals to a blog, so I thought I would try it. I am not really nervous about people in our ministry reading my journals, but I think it would be better if they didn't. So, I'm going to see how this blog works out. I am still definitley trying to figure out how it works, and I am not the most computer literate person in the world, so we will see how this goes. :)
The last few days have continued to be up and down. Yesterday was a really good day at After-school. I had originally planned on teaching the kids about Africa, but decided instead to talk to them about what Jesus says about our words. I have really noticed recently how powerful words are, especially in a child's life. Obviously, I have always known that words have a lot of power, but I don't think I realized the full extent of that power. You can really make or break a person with what you say, and even how you say it. As a person who talks A LOT, this has been a huge eye opener for me. At the same time, I have watched the after-school kids daily tear one another down with their words and I really wanted to challenge them with that. So, we talked about how important our words are and what Jesus says about what words should come out of our mouths. Only time will tell if they really got it, but the talk went well.
Last night was also the Kids Club Christmas party for the 7-10 year olds, and it was a blast! Next to the Prayer Pals Christmas party, its one of my favorite nights of the year. The kids each got to go home with a brand new present (that they got to pick) as well as a new hat, school supplies and a new book...as well as tons of snacks. I got to lead a group by myself (Carisa is crazy!) and it was a group of kids that don't come as often. I had so much fun with them and I am hoping I have convinced at least some of them to come more often next semester. Bonita and Miguel both got presents that they love, which made the night even more fun.

At the same time, I have realized that the saying "when it rains, it pours" is a very true statement. I wrote last week about everything going on, from a funeral to one of the girls I am very close to going into the hospital. Well, last night was another night of pouring. I found out that one of our teens, who was pregnant, lost her baby last night and another teen, whom I absolutley love and adore, found 3 lumps in her breast and has to go in for a mammogram and a biopsy. There is a 17 year old girl dealing with the loss of her unborn child, and a 15 year old girl wondering if she has cancer and if she will be able to keep her breasts. I can't imagine how difficult that is for each of them! My heart is absolutley broken for the pain they are each enduring. Am I sad that an unwed 17 year old high school senior will not be having a baby? Of course not, but I am sad that she has to endure the heartache that comes along with losing a child. I can't even begin to imagine what that must feel like.
I personally am actually doing very well, and the Lord and I are great. I spent a lot of time reading this weekend and was really challenged by the Lord in a lot of areas of my life. At the same time, there are a lot of changes and things happening around me that I am having a hard time trusting in Him with. I find myself being very affected by what is going on in other people's lives, and I would really like that to change. Scripture promises me peace that passes all understanding and tells me that no matter what is going on around me, God is always in control. I wnt my house to continue to be solid and on the firm foundation of Jesus, so when the wind and the waves come, I don't fear my house falling down, I know it's strong enough to withstand anything. I don't think I am there yet, but I'm praying that I will get there!
No comments:
Post a Comment