This week has been a blur of activity! I still haven't had much time to sit and process my trip to Africa, so I apologize to anyone who has been waiting for me to write more about that. Its coming, I promise!
Wednesday was a really rough day for me spiritually. It was pretty normal in terms of my schedule, but there was a lot going on around me that was challenging. I went to pick Pedro and Miguel up for after-school and found their street blocked off by the police. Apparently, just before Miguel came home from school there was a shooting right in front of their house. A man was shot 4 times and the blood was still on the sidewalk. My heart sank as I thought about what could have happened had Miguel been walking home from school when the shooting started. It sank even more when I realized that this event was not shocking to Pedro or Miguel, they were used to it. They have seen several shootings in their lives, and they are still so young.
Thursday ended up being the best day we have ever had at after-school! Philadelphia schools were closed on Friday, so none of the kids had homework on Thursday. Instead of trying to make them read or something, I decided to play games. Everyone started playing different games, but eventually all of us came together (one at a time, haha) and played pictionary for an hour and a half! Literally everyone, kids and leaders, played and we had so much fun! There weren't any fights or arguments, even when 2 of the kids were caught cheating. I was so proud of how they all behaved and handled the competition, and I can't remember the last time we all laughed like that (few of us could be considered artists...you should have seen some of the things we tried to draw!). I added 2 new girls to after-school, and Thursday was their first day. They were very quiet and shy at first, but once we all started to play they got into the game. It was a great way to make them part of the family!
I have started going to Teen Club on Thursday nights, and for the most part I am enjoying it. I have to confess that I miss my night off, but I know that God has called me to be a part of this. I really love the teens, but I'm also pretty shy. God Squad is much easier for me because there are fewer teens there and I already know most of them. Teen Club is proving to be more of a challenge for me, but I'm getting there.
Friday was supposed to be my day off, but they have a special on Fridays where you can ice skate for only $5. The girls have been begging me for months to take them ice skating, so I finally gave in yesterday. Zuly (their older sister) and little Kearstin came with us, and we met up with some of the teens from church. We had a blast! It was the first time any of those girls had been ice skating, but you wouldn't know it from the way Bonita was flying across the ice. It was amazing! Linda took a little longer to get comfortable, but by the end she was doing pretty well too. Zuly and I weren't so great at it, but we had fun trying. I was so impressed with how well Bonita and Linda were doing, I think I'm going to sign them up for lessons. They're going to pay half and I will pay half. I'm really excited to see how they do, they are definitely naturals at it. Now I have them in music classes, ballet lessons, basketball practice and ice skating lessons. These girls are going to be well rounded!
Last night was great too as I got to hang out with Joy for the first time in forever! We have been trying to for weeks, and finally found the time. We rented a chick flick, ordered pizza and just hung out. It was so nice and so much fun! And just FYI, we rented "The Lake House" and LOVED it! We had both heard it wasn't a good movie, but we thought it was great! (In case anyone was thinking about renting it...)
Since I didn't get a full day off yesterday, I'm taking the rest of today for me. I had worship practice this morning, and then I took the girls to ballet. I will pick them up soon and then come home to read and relax. My house is clean, my car is clean, and my bills are paid. So, unless something major arises, I plan on hanging out with Jesus and a book for the rest of the day. Maybe I'll even get some sleep tonight!
No comments:
Post a Comment